Cuming County Veterans Service Officer:

200 S Lincoln St,  Rm 54, West Point, NE
OFFICE: (402) 372-6012 | CELL: (402) 380-4174 | FAX: (402) 260-7737

Assistant Veterans Service Officer:
Kim Kaup

The Cuming County Veterans Service Office provides assistance with benefits and services to eligible veterans and their families.

Office hours are Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30.

Veterans Board Members

Jack Kindschuh | (402) 650-4579

Steve Schwer | (402) 380-1547

Rich Brahmer | (402) 380-0205

Dalbert Storm | (402) 648-7940

Les Feyerherm | (402) 992-7329

Board Meetings

The Cuming County Veterans Board meets on the last Monday of each month at 7:30 a.m. in the Veterans Service Office located in Room 34 of the Cuming County Courthouse.

2023 Board Meeting Minutes

01-January 30, 2023 Minutes

02-February 2023 Minutes

04-April 2023 Minutes

06-June 2023 Minutes

07-July 2023 Minutes

08-August 2023 Minutes

09-September 2023 Minutes

Military Discharges

Military personnel are encouraged to file their discharge paperwork with the Veterans Service Office for safekeeping and proof of service needed for VA benefits.

Copies of Military Records

Copies of military discharge records cannot be provided to anyone other than the veteran.  Exceptions can be made in certain situations, ie. when the veteran is deceased or unable to make the request in person.  Full name at time of enlistment and photo ID is required when requesting records. Contact the Veterans Service Office for more information.

The County Veterans Aid Fund is a temporary emergency fund to assist veterans, their spouses, and dependents when there is an unforeseen emergency and there are no other resources available.

Eligible veterans are persons who:

  • served on active duty
  • received an Honorable discharge
  • served during one of the defined wartime eras
  • have resided in Nebraska for at least one year and Cuming County for at least six months

Applicants may request assistance with food, shelter, clothing, funeral, medical, dental, and surgical items. This is an aid program so the veteran must document an inability to meet the obligation to pay these bills, via an application.

To apply contact Jason Gatzemeyer in the Veterans Service Office.

Homestead Exemption may be available to a veteran (or widow) who:
  1. is totally disabled by a nonservice-connected illness or accident, or
  2. receives compensation from the VA because of a 100% disability that was service-connected

Homestead Exemption applications must be resubmitted to the Assessor every three years.  The county Veterans Service Officer provides an eligibility letter from the VA to the Assessor’s office in the year the exemption is due to expire for eligible veterans.

More information can be found at Nebraska Homestead Exemption | Property Assessment.

Military Honor license plates are available, in lieu of regular county plates, to persons who have served, or are currently serving, on active duty in the:

  • United States Army
  • United States Air Force
  • United States Coast Guard
  • United States Marine Corps
  • United States National Guard
  • United States Navy
  • United States Army Reserve
  • United States Navy Reserve
  • United States Marine Corps Reserve
  • United States Coast Guard Reserve
  • United States Air Force Reserve

To request Military Honor license plates, the applicant must be eligible for, and enrolled in, the Nebraska Veteran’s Registry through the Nebraska Department of Veteran’s Affairs and have served (with an honorable or general under honorable conditions discharge/separation), or be currently serving, on active duty in the specific branch for which a license plate is requested.

There is no limit to the number of motor vehicles or trailers owned or leased by the applicant that may be licensed with a Military Honor license plate. Separate application processes are required for each Military Honor license plate requested.

Military Honor Message Plates
Cost: $40.00 (due at the time of initial application, must be renewed annually in the same month as the vehicle registration)

These plates are of exclusive design and, as with regular Message plates, are produced with an available message of your choice of up to five characters. Available to motor vehicles,  motorcycles, trailers, semitrailers and cabin trailers.

Military Honor Numeric Plates
Cost: $ 5.00 (due at the time of initial application, must be renewed annually in the same month as the vehicle registration)

These plates have the same exclusive design as on the Military Honor Message plates, but are assigned an alpha/numeric combination by the Department of Motor Vehicles. Available to motor vehicles,  motorcycles, trailers, semitrailers and cabin trailers. These plates are issued in consecutive numeric order in the order in which the applications are received.  Requests for specific numbers cannot be processed.

For more information visit Military Honor Plates | Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles

It is the responsibility of the veteran’s family or personal representative to report the death of a veteran to the county Veterans Service Officer. The VSO then forwards death notification to the VA.

Upon the family’s request, the VSO will order a “Presidential Memorial Certificate” for the family.

State of Nebraska requires the county VSO to provide a bronze grave marker reflecting the veteran’s wartime service for the grave of each deceased veteran.

The VSO also assists the family with VA death benefits if applicable, ordering headstones/plaques for graves, and benefits for surviving spouse.

Feb 2, 2022; 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
Nielsen Center, 200 Anna Stalp Avenue, West Point, NE 68788
Please RSVP to 402-372-6012




Roundtable Registration Form to be submitted by each veteran in attendance or joining online

Area VSO Directory

FEMA Covid-19 Funeral Assistance (not limited to veterans)

Fisher House (Omaha) – Helping Military and Veterans’ Families

National Park Service Access Pass Application

Nebraska Disabled Veterans State Park Permit Application

Nebraska Hunt-Fish Permit Application

Nebraska Reservist Tuition Credit

Nebraska Veterans Aid

Nebraska Veterans Homes

Nebraska Vets Get Pets Program

VA Aid & Attendance / Housebound Allowance

VA Approved Nursing Home Facilities

VA Burial Benefits

VA Care in the Community

VA Understanding the Community Care Process

VA Copayments and Insurance

VA Dental Insurance Program

VA Enrollment Priority Groups

VA Family Caregiver Program

VA Healthcare Copay Rates

VA Income Levels for Surrounding Nebraska Counties

VA National and Priority Group 8 Relaxation Income Thresholds

VA Quick Reference Guide: Income and Assets for Financial Assessment

Veterans Employment Services Guide

Contact Jason Gatzemeyer at 402-372-6012 or with questions or for assistance with any of the programs and benefits listed above.


  • Print and complete VA Form 21-22
  • Print and complete VA Form 21-0966
  • Locate DD214 (Discharge paperwork) if you haven’t already filed a copy with your VSO or county clerk
  • Make an appointment with your County VSO to submit the items listed above and discuss your claim